Devote Yourself to creating something that gives you purpose . . .

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."

Tuesdays with Morrie, author Mitch Albom

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fearless

Are we teaching our children or are they teaching us?

Today women-owned businesses are on the rise and the fastest growing demographic in the United States. One reason that I started my business was to be an example to my children. I wanted my passion for my business to teach my daughters to follow their dreams in this land of opportunity. Unlike many of you, my daughters came to the U.S. via international adoption so they were not born in a country known for providing opportunities for them. Let's hope that changes in the years ahead.

Being in business means we need to be fearless when it comes to stepping outside of our comfort zones to market our products or services. I'm drawn to organization and logic with a little creative talent running through my circuits, but not a dose of marketing savvy in my jeans. Getting the word out about my products has been more difficult than I had imagined only because I find myself getting in my own way.

Turning to my daughter, we've given her exposure to many new and different things since arriving on American soil in 2005. After twelve months living in less than ideal circumstances, she braved the adventure of traveling half way around the world and coming into a world that smell different, sounded different, and looked different. Even with a 12 hour time difference day is night and night is day. She has survived, she has thrived, and she of course is the apple of my eye.

Lesson:


Last fall, we signed her up for ice skating lessons and she was unbelievably talented, so much so that she was elevated 3 classes in no time and skating with girls who were 3 to 4 years older and twice her height. Whatever the coach requested, she did. They were amazed and told us we really should look into private lessons for her. We talked with her about it and she told me, Mom I've got a secret. Then she shared with me that skating backwards really scared her. You wouldn't have known it to look at her, each week when it was time to skate backwards, she just did it without hesitation.

This week we started gymnastics, her coach chalked up her small hands, and said "climb this rope to the ceiling and ring the bell. When you do, you'll get a prize." She was fearless, I watched as she jumped up grabbed the rope and with all her might, she scaled the rope to the top and rung the bell. I, standing on the ground, looked up and thought "my 5 year old should not be 14 foot off the ground without a harness or safety net." She shimmed down, and started jumping up and down "I did it, I did it", she cried! Her prize, a lollipop, she was happy. I was ecstatic. I need to learn not to hold her back by my example . . .

Here we go into a new world, I will not be afraid!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have value, please leave a comment.