Devote Yourself to creating something that gives you purpose . . .

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."

Tuesdays with Morrie, author Mitch Albom

Friday, June 5, 2009

Why Build a Women's Network?

Growing a women's network is no small task, but in the process of creating one, there are several looming question that I ponder.
  1. What value could a women's network have to West Michigan?
  2. What are women hoping to find that they've not found anywhere else?
  3. How often would women want to meet in order to make this a useful tool to assist them?
  4. How should we organize our events or meetings to have the greatest impact on those who attend?
Like everything else, I begin this quest with research. As I grow in knowledge, I will be happy to share those findings with you here in this blog. Occasionally we may conduct formal survey's to gain greater feedback to make sure we are on the right track to serving the needs of women who join us.
This morning while doing some preliminary research I jotted down some notes from women who shared their ideas about joining a women's network. Some of their input, which is shared below all indicates that there is a great benefit to women when networking with one another:
  • I enjoy meeting other women which can provide me with inspiration for my business endeavors. They often know what I’m going through.

  • I enjoy the aspect of creating a unified voice which can be more powerful than one person acting alone.

  • I am often very uncomfortable in networking events, but at the end of the evening I’m glad that I’ve gone. By taking me outside my comfort zone, it helps me to practice my interactive skills and create good business relationships with others.

  • As a small business owner, I often feel isolated and alone. I do not work closely with other individuals on a daily basis, so networking helps me to feel a part of a bigger unit, a family of sorts.

  • I have used forum settings on the Internet to network with others, this is an approach I like to take, when I’m pondering a problem that needs to be resolved, it is always good to gain the input from others. I use the network as a sounding board.

  • Finding mentors who can help and being a mentor is a very fulfilling aspect of networking with other women.

  • The network has a facet of giving back which is a great experience.
If you can think of any reasons why you might be interested in a women's network, please add your comments below. Your feedback will be useful as we move forward establishing solid goals and objectives. Thank you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have value, please leave a comment.